Thursday, February 28, 2008
Well it wasn't leprosy...
Well it certainly wasn't leprosy but in my opinion it was just as bad. Now I hesitate to write what happened to my family today because oh my gosh it was just horrible and I feel like the worst mom in the whole world. I am beating myself up enough that I really don't want anyone else beating me up too. However I figure if you have been keeping up with our blog over the past couple of weeks, you are all just sitting on the edge of your seats just waiting to hear what happened to our family next. So yesterday my doctor put me on some medication to take every eight hours to help my uterus contract to get out the blood clots. Well since it was every eight hours I had to take a dose in the middle of the night. First you have to understand that we have an alarm system so at night we set it to turn on the laser in the main part of the house. So in order to go out into the kitchen we would have to unset the alarm, which is loud and it wakes up Dutch so we try not to ever have to do that. So I took the pill bottle with me to my room and set it on my night stand so I could take my middle of the night dose. Now I never keep medication in my room I always have it in the kitchen. So this morning dawned bright and sunny and we were all getting ready for the day. David had already left for school. Dutch was playing in my room while I was blow drying my hair. Pretty normal routine at our house. I am constantly checking on Dutch. And when I looked up I saw him with my pill bottle (the child proof kind) open. Let me just say I freaked out. I ran over there as fast as I could and put my finger in his mouth hoping to get anything out if he had actually swallowed one. Nothing was in there. So I checked the bottle, empty, I searched the floor. I only found one pill, there were two left. So I immediately called poison control, now because it is a pill only for women to take to make there uterus contract, they had never had a little boy take this pill so they wanted me to take him immediately to the hospital for observation. That way if there were any side effects it would happen there. Lets just say I was bawling this whole time. Again my good friend Stacy came over to sit with Maylee until my mom could come over. I took Dutch to the ER and they had to give him charcoal. It was awful, three people came in to hold him down, while they squirted this thick, nasty tasting stuff into his mouth, trying to get him to drink it, so that it could absorb the pill in his tummy. He sobbed the entire time, it broke my heart. Especially knowing that it was my irresponsibility that got him into this situation anyways. After they got the charcoal down him, they wanted to keep him for a total of four hours to make sure he would be fine. So David came and relieved me so that I could go home and nurse Maylee. We were very, very blessed today. Fortunately for us this pill caused no side effects and Dutch was able to come home, his healthy little self. I am so very grateful to have been so blessed today, knowing that the situation could have been so much worse. I have learned a very, very valuable lesson. I will never ever take any medication anywhere in my house other then my medicine cabinet, even if I have the best of intentions of putting it right away first thing. It is not worth the risk. I was shown today just how fragile these precious little children are and how quickly they can get into things that could very well end up being a life or death situation. Luckily for us that wasn't the case today. But I will try to never ever be that careless again. I also learned that a "childproof" container isn't really child proof, so me as a mom should never have forgotten that it was on my nightstand. Thank goodness this little episode ended so good for us. Tomorrow is going to be my day. Tomorrow my family is finally going to be 100% normal and healthy. Nothing bad is going to happen. Tomorrow is my families new beginning day of normalcy. So lets see how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my goodness I'm sorry Breezy! You've had one heck of a time! When i was a baby my dad let me eat ants that were sprayed with Raid- and they had to give me the charcoal also.. I think you've had enough trials the past couple days, so tomorrow can only be better! :)
oh hone. I really hope you guys can catch a break now. My goodness... do you need anything? Dinner? Let me do this for you.. email me when would be good for you.. britnbrad@hotmail.com OK? I don't want to bother you guys with all your recovering.. you better get back to me ASAP!
wow breezy, i'm sorry. and don't feel so bad really it could have happen to anyone, i've done many things. but thank you I need to be more careful. i'm happy all was okay
As a mom of 4, I have to say that the Poison Control people are really nice. We've had the dish soap in the mouth of the 18 month old (thanks to her big brother), an epipen in the hand, and a possibly taken ritalin that my oldest put on the floor next to him instead of taking. Thankfully we found it on the floor in another room, but it still is a scary thing. I'm so thankful everything turned out well for you guys- go take a nice long bath and eat some chocolate : )
Post a Comment