David was gone the entire month of September living in Ohio and he was leaving again the end of October for Florida for the entire month of November. So I had four full weeks with him home and I decided that I was going to take those four weeks and train for the Snow Canyon Half Marathon. I've run it twice and I was devastated about not running it the last time before we move. So even though I only had four weeks I trained my tush off. The four saturdays David was home I ran, 7, 8, 9 and then 10 miles. It was hard. The few months prior to Oct the most I had run was two miles a few days a month. But I trained, it was hard, but I told myself I wasn't going to worry about my time I was just going to finish and be proud of that. Since David was already in Florida, Mom and Fawn came up to help out with the kids and cheer me on during the race. Without fail, like every year before Talli slept terrible the night before and I got practically no sleep. But it really must be for the best some how. The race started, and I felt like crap. Within the first mile, I was pretty sure there was no way I was going to be able to run this race. I never felt like I fell into my groove, it felt hard the entire time. But some how I was still able to push myself harder than I ever had before. This was also the first race I've ever had my garmin on. When I hit mile 7 I was at 55 minutes, I have never run 7 miles that fast before so I knew that I was going to be able to come in close to my other times maybe even better. At mile 9 is when we come out of the canyon and start seeing spectators. Mom, Fawn and the kids were there cheering me on, which is such a huge lift that I always need right at the time. When I hit mile 11 I was at and hour and 30 miles. I knew if I just kept under ten minute miles for the last two miles I would be able to not only beat my best time but to be able to come in under 1:50:00. Which really excited me. I know 10 minute miles sounds so slow but up til this point I was running 7 minute miles and I was exhausted and the last two miles is when we start hitting a few rollers. But I pushed on and came in at 1:48:55, I was EXCITED. So proud of myself. I definitely ended on a great note.







No comments:
Post a Comment