Saturday, December 13, 2008

Getting Somewhere

So I checked out a book at the library called, "The No Cry Sleep Solution". Maylee and Dutch are completely different babies. And Maylee can NOT cry it out to fall asleep. It doesn't work for her and I don't want to have to make her cry it out. So I checked out this book. The first two main suggestions are: 1. put your baby to bed early, between 7-8, they say if your baby goes down to late and is overtired they will not sleep as good. 2. Naps are very important, if your baby takes good naps, they will sleep better at night. Well Maylee doesn't take good naps, but I have been forcing her to. Basically I hold her in a tight position, until she falls asleep. She does cry when I do that but I can justify it because I am holding her. And I really only had to do that the first couple of days to get her body in the habit of taking naps and now she is taking two naps a day. Of course they are only between 45 minutes and an hour long but we're getting there. And I also started putting her to bed at 7:30. And guess what, she is sleeping so much longer. She isn't sleeping through the night yet but we're getting closer. She sleeps until about 3 in the morning, last night she slept until 4:30 in the morning. So she is doing about a seven hour stretch and then she eats, goes back to sleep and then wakes up at 6:30. So it is definitely a lot more bearable. I can handle life so much better when we are only waking up once a night. I am hoping to cut out the one feeding but at least we have gotten this far and so quickly. There are a lot more suggestions in the book but I had to return it. So I took my notes and I'm going to keep on working with Maylee. So hopefully I can have her sleeping through the night within the next month, that would be fantastic.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Breezy-
After reading your last post I was going to comment & totally forgot. I feel your pain, Hunter did not sleep through the night until after his first birthday. I read the no cry sleep solution (I am not into crying it out & it never worked for Hunter either). Besides everything in that book the only other thing I learned (to late) is the eating during the night. I felt like my baby was hungry and I did not want to deprive him. At is 12 month check up the Dr. said there is no medical reason for him to be eating and stop feeding him at night. Um...ok, but after only a couple of nights it worked. I have also heard to give the baby water instead (if she will take a bottle) so the baby will decide its not worth it for water (never worked for me either, but I was willing to try anything). Anyways good luck, I hope you get some sleep. I think you will really like the book and the method.