Thursday, January 8, 2009

Resolutions

This year David and I sat down together on Jan. 1st and made New Year Resolutions for our family. We made family goals and personal goals. And for our personal goals we each wrote down one goal that we are going to work on and without showing it to each other we sealed it in an envelope to read on Dec. 31st 2009. We didn't share one goal that way before we read it at the end of this year we can guess what it was and see if we have improved ourselves enough for it to be recognized. I'm really excited about this. Our personal goals are like this:
David:
1. will exercise 3 times a week
2. will not eat at fast food or convience stores unless he is with me (now he said he can eat at them with me because it is next to never that we eat at fast food places together)
Me:
1. read scriptures every day
2. play outside with the kids for at least one hour every day
Dutch:
1. Potty train
2. stop yelling "NO"
3. learn to swim with floatees
Maylee:
1. Walk
2. learn to sleep through the night
Chloe:
1. learn to catch a ball and frisbee and to return it
2. potty train
Family Goals:
1. Have family home evening every week
2. Arrive to church 5 minutes early every Sunday
Now let me share how they are going so far. Church started at 8:30 for us last year, we hardly ever made it on time. So this year since it starts at 10:30, two hours later we figured we should be able to not only arrive on time but at least 5 minutes early to get the kids settled and ready for Sacrament. So Sunday morning Maylee, David and I are all up at about 6:30 (that's just when Maylee wakes up every day). So I'm thinking great we are definitely going to be able to make it to church. So I start getting ready at about 7, so by about 8:30 or so Maylee and I are pretty much completely ready for church. By ten everyone is pretty much ready. As we are gathering up all of our church bags, snacks, and toys, David walks into Dutch's bedroom for something and then walks back out to the kitchen. When he steps on the tile his shoe slips a little and he looks down to see what made him slip. Well he step in dog poop. But he didn't step in it in the kitchen. Oh no that would have been to easy, instead he stepped in it in Dutch's bedroom and then walked down the hallway to the kitchen when he finallly realized he had tracked dog poop down the hall. GrOsS! That happened about 2 minutes before we were suppose to walk out the door. So we didn't make it to church 5 minutes early or even right on time, instead we were about 10 minutes late. Oh well, I guess we will try again next week. But the story gets better. So we get home from church take Chloe out of her kennel and right outside to go potty. About 15-20 minutes after we get home from church David walks into the kitchen and his foot slips. Yep you guessed it, he step in dog poop again, in Dutch's bedroom and tracked it down the hall. So by the time I was done cleaning up poop all down my hall for the second time in about 3 hours I was ready to either get rid of the dog or David or both.
After that experience we have set some new rules in our house concerning the dog. She is only allow in the kitchen and living room when she is in the house. That way I will still be able to have a dog free zone in my house. Training her to stay in those areas isn't as bad as I thought it would be but she still doesn't have it down but we will get there one day. As for the potty training, I realized that when she first comes out of her kennel for the day she has to be taken outside about every 15 minutes for about the first two hours to prevent any accidents. She hasn't pooped in the house since the last time on Sunday. So we are getting somewhere. Let me just say that having a dog isn't all it's cracked up to be. Because even though she hasn't pooped in the house since then, Dutch has still managed to step in it three times this week in the backyard. So gross! I hate cleaning up dog poo.

4 comments:

jadie said...

great resolutions!! i hope the dog poo thing will get better for you! at least she is really cute.. it was so fun to see your little family! you guys all look great! we cant wait to visit again! next time for sure we will come play at your house.. sorry we were so under the weather! keep up the posts i love to read them! love you!

Arizona Nielsens said...

Spaz isn't allowed in the bedrooms in our house either-- I had to have space to myself if she was going to live with us. I'm sorry you've spent so much time cleaning up dog poop. That's definitely not fun! Good luck on your resolutions!!

Scott and Candice Moore said...

lol..been there done the whole potty training with the puppy and to tell you the truth..they can still have accidents up until 6months old. You probably don't want to hear it..but it is true. They are like kids..they do really well for a period of time and then the mess up. But she is cute..we have a male yellow lab he is now a 1yr old. We went through the messes..he learned fast..but I think I would rather deal with the poo then the chewing phase..you can not leave anything out and make sure you have lots of raw hide bones they tend to distract better then toys (but horrible gas comes along with it)...they get confused on who's toys are who's. LOL
Dogs are just as much work as kids..sometimes more! But they are cute and fun and so cute with kids!

Kim's just sayin' said...

that's a great idea to not share a resolution. I wonder how that will turn out. As for the dog, I guess I'm just not a nice person because I never want to have a dog now that I have kids for the reasons you just specifed!!! It seems like so much extra work. And, really kids are kind of like pets...:) but she sounds adorable and I bet I'd love her at your house! :)