Thursday, December 6, 2007

My quilt!

When David and I found out that we were having a little girl, I decided that I wanted to make her a quilt. And I wanted to try doing a piece quilt. Davids cousin Brittany quilts and her and I have talked about it a lot, so I decided I would give it a shot. I went to JoAnn's picked out a beginners quilting book, brought the fabric and just started. It ended up being a lot easier than I thought it would. However it is extremely time consuming especially when you have a little Dutch man that doesn't allow for such activities, so I have only been able to quilt during nap times which is why it took me so long to finally finish it. So anyone out there who wants to try quilting I totally suggest it, it's actually a lot of fun. I only had one really bad experience while making this quilt. David was gone to school, Dutch was down for a nap, so of course I was quilting. I was feeding the fabric through my sewing machine and when I pulled my hand out, the sewing needle was sticking all the way through my finger. It went right through my nail and was just about popping out on the other side of my finger. And you know how your thoughts just race, well the first thing I thought as I was looking at the needle sticking through my finger was... should I go to the emergency room, do I call David and let him pull it out and then it occurred to me that I just needed to pull it out myself. So I ran out to our garage and grabbed a pair of pilers and I had to get a really tight grip and then I pulled it out of my finger. It was so awful, I don't handle blood and situations like that very well and having to pull it out myself was just horrible. I had to sit down for about 15 minutes afterwards because I thought for sure I was going to pass out. But I ended up being ok, thank goodness and now I have a nice hole through my finger nail where the needle went through. Luckily the quilt didn't get any blood on it and now it is all finished. I feel like I'm bragging a little bit, but I love it. It ended up turning out so good, well at least for me. There are a few mistakes and I would never want to show it to a Pro Quilter for fear they would point them out to me, but our little girl will never notice and I just think it turned out adorable.

8 comments:

Britt said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Can't wait to meet your little princess!

Stormy and Spenser said...

It turned out so good Breezy! Good job :)

Stacy said...

AWESOME!!

now you just have to teach me!

Skinners said...

So cute! We just had our little girl and she is soooo much fun!!! A little different having two now, especially with a little boy that is into everything (almost 2)! Good luck with everything!

heidi said...

that quilt looks awesome. do you remember me (heidi belnap, now andersen) from eac. congrats on having a baby girl. i don't know if you still keep in touch with jordan merrill, now stearns. she just had a baby her blog is www.abeautifulfamily.blogspot.com

she has 2 adorable little girls! hope things are great

Meghan Carbonneau said...

Congratulations on the Baby girl! I've heard it and read up on all the Blogs but just hadn't posted yet. Anyway, Congrats and yeah, the quilt looks good!

Kyle, Carrie, Jenna, and Emily said...

Hey! Glad to have found you! I LOVE that quilt. How are medical school apps coming??

Kyle, Carrie, Jenna, and Emily said...

PS Congrats on your little girl!!