Sunday, April 27, 2008

Utah

On Tuesday Dutch, Maylee and I flew up to Utah with my Mom and Dad for Noah's graduation. Let me just say it was an interesting trip. Tuesday was a great day. Dutch and Maylee both did so well on the plane ride. We found out that on a plane, two lap kids are not allowed to sit in an aisle with three adults. So I ended up sitting in the aisle in front of my parents with Maylee and my parents kept Dutch with them. Which ended up working out really well. Dutch was able to have his own seat. We brought a DVD player with us and the movie Peter Pan (it's Dutch's favorite right now) and he watched that the entire flight and was happy as can be. Maylee just slept, which makes for a pretty easy baby to get along with. Once we got to Utah we were all starving so went stopped at Chilies before going to our hotel. Again Dutch did so well, he ate a bunch of food, he was happy and talking like crazy, things were going just great. We drove to our hotel and waited for Noah to get off work and show up. While we waited we were all pretty exhausted so we all took a nap. When Noah got there we went bowling. Mom and I didn't bowl so great, Noah and Dad did of course. And Dutch just watched Peter Pan on the DVD player and behaved great the entire time we were there. It was a great day and so much fun to see Noah. Then we headed back to our hotel room and crashed for the night. At five o'clock the next morning I was woken up to the sound of Dutch throwing up in our bed. So I got up stripped the sheets down and we went back to sleep. And I just figured he threw up from eating so much junk the day before. But then at six he was up puking again. And then at eight. So lucky for me Dutch was sick. My parents got ready for the day and headed out to play with Noah and I spent the day in the hotel room with a sick little boy. He threw up a few more times and by about noon he started having diarrhea. I was really hoping and praying it was just going to be one of those 12 or 24 hour bugs and that he would be healthy the next day. By that same night he seemed to be feeling a little better so we all went out to eat at Outback. He did ok there. He never threw up, thank goodness but he was pretty cranky. When we woke up Thursday morning he hadn't thrown up at all, he just did some dry heaving in the night, so we got ready for the day and headed to Noah's house. He did throw up a little on the way there but no big deal. Thursday we pretty much just hung out with Noah and visited the BYU bookstore, which is a wonderful place. Then that evening was Noah's graduation commencement. That was really good. Elder Bednar was there to speak and he gave a great talk. Dutch wasn't feeling well during that so I did have to walk around with him and the diarrhea kicked back in. Here we are at the commencement... We did get to meet Noah's good friend Kiera, which was a lot of fun and was really the most enjoyable part of my Thursday, so there were some highlights on the trip. I have heard so much about her from Noah over the past year and a half that it was a ton of fun to finally meet her. She is just the cutest girl, with a fun personality. Although I am sure that my whiny, sick little boy probably drove her crazy. Friday morning we had to wake up a five to make it to Noah's graduation. That did not go over very well with Dutch. When we got to BYU he was being so cranky. I was getting really frustrated because I just thought he was throwing fits. So I took him out to the lobby and he fell asleep on the couch and slept for awhile. When he woke up I went in and sat with my parents. While we were sitting there all of the sudden my mom and I smelled something really fowl and we thought for sure the person in front of us farted really big. It smelled so gross. Then they did it again. By this point my mom and I were really getting upset at whoever was farting because it just smelled so bad. So a couple of minutes go by and Dutch starts to gag. So I rush him out thinking that he is going to start throwing up. Well he didn't throw up but while I was walking him out he started having diarrhea again. So I headed to the bathroom to change his diaper. And guess what, it was Dutch that was farting that whole time. But it smelled so bad, we really thought it had to have been a grown man. And thus the worst day began. Dutch literally slept most of the day. Every where we went he just slept, he couldn't stay awake. And he kept having diarrhea over and over again. Usually he goes through about 4 or 5 diapers a day. While we were gone he went through about 10 to 12 diapers a day. It was just awful. I felt so bad for my poor baby. We couldn't get him to eat or drink anything. The last meal he had eaten was Tuesday at lunch and it was now Friday afternoon. We were really getting nervous that we were going to have to take him to the ER to get re-hydrated. Noah told us not to tell anyone at the airport how sick Dutch was because they might kick us off the plane. When we got to the airport Dutch seriously just laid completely limp on our shoulders. He was awake but he didn't have a ounce of energy in his poor little body. We flew home Friday night. Mom and I were so nervous that he was going to have diarrhea on the plane. He stunk so bad that we knew it'd be just awful if he did that on the plane. And every time I changed his diaper he would lay there and scream no because his bum hurt so bad. It broke my heart, I cried when I had to change his diaper. Well he did have diarrhea once on the plane but I got to the bathroom fast enough that it didn't linger to long with the rest of the passengers. On the drive to my house we just kept saying to each other that we were hoping that once Dutch saw his Dad and was in his own environment that he would get some life back into his little body. He did get a little energy when he saw his dad. Which was such a wonderful sight after watching the life get sucked out of his body over the past three days. But that energy only lasted about ten minutes then he was limp again. I considered driving right to the ER with him but then I just decided to let him sleep through the night and see how he was in the morning. By morning he was awake and perky. He got up and ate a big breakfast with his Dad and he only had diarrhea two more times and he was walking around and feeling great. Being home with his Dad was the cure all. David did ask me if the trip was worth it. And yes it sucked pretty bad being out of town with a sick little boy and sure it could have been a lot better then it was. But it was a ton of fun to see Noah, we don't get to see him very often, so I loved being able to spend some time with him. It was also Noah's first time to see Maylee. And he was so cute with her. He actually held her a lot and talked to her and comforted her when she would cry. I loved it. Noah with Maylee... And even though Dutch was sick, I really enjoyed spending so much time with my parents. I love seeing my parents with my kids. It makes me so happy that my kids have such great grandparents, who love them so much. Dutch's favorite part of the trip was the DVD player. He watched that thing non-stop the entire time we were gone. I have to detox him from the TV now that he are home but since he didn't feel good and it kept him happy, we let him watch that DVD player all day long. I think we all have Peter Pan memorized now. Here are photos of Dutch's trip...

3 comments:

sarah said...

That is no fun having a sick little boy. At least you were still able to have some fun. I love that all of Dutch's pictures he is watching the DVD player, whatever keeps them happy!

Arizona Nielsens said...

What a trip! I'm glad Dutch is feeling much better now. Maylee is such a doll!

Kim's just sayin' said...

Oh Breezy, that is so sad. Maybe he had food poisoning?!?! It's the worst when your kids get sick on trips. It sounds like you still managed to have fun though.