Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Bad Knee
On Monday I went out to my parents house to visit and hang out because David was out of town. I first drove over to my brothers house because my parents were across the street working on one of my Dad's remodels. When I pulled up my Mom just happened to be outside talking on the phone. Dutch got really excited when he saw her and kept saying, "Mimi, Mimi". So I got Dutch out of the car and he ran over to my mom and then she came over to talk to me while I got Maylee and Chloe out of the car. I got Maylee out of her car seat and I was trying to get Chloe out but she kept backing away, so I finally pulled the car seat out and then reached in to grab Chloe. When I reached in to grab Chloe my left knee cap popped out of place and according to my mom, I let out a blood curdling scream. I threw Chloe out of the car and turned and sat down on the back sit and I was still screaming and I was screaming "my knee". Once I was able to sit down my mom saw my knee and she went kind of hysterical and started screaming on the top of her lungs "Alex get out here". Then the next thing I knew, my brother Seth was sitting in front of me with one hand on my knee. He was able to help me straighten my leg and pop my knee back into place. It felt like it took about an hour but it probably only lasted about 2 or 3 minutes. What happened is when I pivoted to get the dog out of the ca, my knee cap slid over onto the side of my leg, it use to happen to me when I was in high school but I was always able to pop it back into place by myself, it hurt but I could do it. But yesterday when it happened my leg was completely bent so it was just stuck there I couldn't push it back over, until Seth helped me to straighten my leg. It was so horrible. And you know how about a thousand things are running through your head in situations like that, my only thought was "what is this going to do to my exercising". I was pretty devastated and I little in shock. It took me a while to calm down. As soon as we got my knee cap back in place everyone but me took off to find Chloe. Apparently between mine and my moms screaming it scared her to death and she took off. Luckily Seth and Dad were able to find her. Once I was finally able to calm down and walk into the house, I laid on Seth and Tara's couch with some frozen peas on my knee for awhile. It still hurts pretty badly and I have no idea what we are going to do for it. David and I are on a such waiting game with insurance. When I was in High School and this happened the doctor I saw suggested that I have surgery however my dad wasn't big on that idea, so we took the physical therapy route. While I was doing physical therapy they told me that I need to really strengthen my leg muscles to hold my knee cap in place. Well my legs are the strongest they have ever been and I have been working out more than I ever have before and my knee cap still popped out of place, so I am starting to think that surgery might be my only option now. I'm just really hoping that if I rest it for about a week, that it will feel better and I can start working out again. I will just wear my knee brace and hope for the best but I just can't go longer than that with out getting my daily fix of exercising. But regardless I know I need to take care of my knee first that way I won't mess it up for the rest of my life, that would really suck. Dutch was pretty concerned throughout the whole thing. He never cried but my mom said he just stood there staring at me and wringing his hands. Then he just wanted to sit on my lap afterwards and make sure that I was ok. He was very sweet after we got my knee back in place. I really hope that it will start to feel better soon. Right now I am absolutely paranoid that it is going to pop out again, so I am very protective, I won't let my kids or David near my knee and I keep a brace on at all times. When I don't have a brace on my knee cap feels really wobbly. Although I know that I should probably just sit down and let it heal, but if you know me sitting down and doing nothing isn't something that really appeals to me. So this is might feel like a long week for me. But I know that it'll all work out some how.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
breezy.. yikes that sounds like it hurt really bad!! i hope that it will start to feel better soon.. i would be nervous that it would pop out again to!! take it easy.. you will be back to exercising in no time!! just rest!! just take a warm bath and eat lots of cookies that cures everything!!
Gosh, I am so sorry about your knee. That really stinks. I know that it is hard for you but take it easy for a feww days to a week.
I have to tell you that we started p90x this week and it is definately kicking our trash! You are a tough woman.
Ouch! If you need you need anything, I am home let me know.
At least it didn't pop off. I hear that is worse. I hope it is feeling better by now.
Post a Comment