Tuesday, October 13, 2009

After an unsuccessful day on Monday I thought for sure when I put Dutch to bed that I would be waking up a few times to change his sheets and clean up some pee. But he never woke up once. He was able to hold it all night long. I was pretty excited about that so as soon as I heard him stir I ran into his room to rush him to his potty. I figured after holding it since 7 o'clock last night he would for sure have to go right away. Well we sat in the bathroom for 45 minutes with me trying to encourage him to go peepee. But he would have none of it. So I finally took him downstairs and told him he had to stay in the kitchen. I brought his potty in there too but I figured if he had an accident at least I would only be cleaning it up off the tile. Well after he had been awake for 2 and 1/2 hours he still had not gone pee. I knew his bladder must be killing him. And I was getting frustrated. So my mom suggested taking him for a walk and letting him pee on a bush. Well I knew he wouldn't want to try and pee on a bush but I decided to take him for a walk anyways. Better for him to pee outside then on my carpet. So we went for a walk and yep he of course finally went pee. And I made him walk home with pee running down his legs. He did not like that very much but I figured it was probably good for him to experience. So we got home got cleaned up and then I had to head out to go visiting teaching. At the first lady's house she just opened up her back door so the kids could play outside. I figured that was perfect that way he wouldn't pee on her carpet. Within 20 minutes he came in soaking wet. She let me use her bathroom and I got him cleaned up. That was at 11:15. We got home and I striped him down. I realized that even with just underwear on he thinks its ok to pee in them. So then he held it for another 7 hours. The kid must have a huge bladder. Anyways he finally couldn't hold it any longer and went pee all over the floor. So I took a suggestion from a friend and showed him the pee spot and said we don't pee on the floor and then walked him to his potty and had him sit down and told him we go pee pee on the potty. Then I repeated the whole thing. The second time I sat him on the potty I went to pick up a couple of toys that he had got pee on and he said look I did it. And sure enough he was able to squeeze out about 1/2 a teaspoon. But I didn't care I jumped up and down and made a huge deal of it and he got a mini candybar. Then about 30 minutes later we had a poo accident. But I manage to get him to the potty to get some of it in there and made another big deal. So after that he thought he was pretty cool. Then Maylee and I were sitting in the living room and he started kind of dancing around and I asked him if he needed to go pee. So he ran and sat on his potty chair and finally made it all in the potty. I was so excited and made the biggest deal, he got another candy bar and finally realized he could do it. That was at 6:30 last night and we haven't had another pee accident. He slept dry all night long and has made it to the potty every time today, even when we were at the park for 4 hours. I am so excited. All those accidents were so worth it to finally have him peeing on the potty. That's 40 bucks I am going to be saving every 6 weeks. I couldn't be happier. I'm thinking it's going to be awhile for the #2 to click for him, which is disgusting but we are getting there.

5 comments:

Matt and Megan said...

Potty training is a frustrating thing but my sis in law gave me a 3 day potty training guide. I was skeptical about it but Porter was fully potty trained in 3 days. And it is going from diapers to underwear cold turkey just like you are doing! I can email it to you if you want. Mason had problems with #2 but now he is all good! my email is megsaz@msn.com if you want it! It really is great!

jadie said...

yay dutch!! that is great! what a big boy! that is the best when they finally start to get it and you know you are getting somewhere! iam so happy for you guys! way to go! tell him that is aunt is so very proud of him!! thats awesome! and iam so glad it has started to click with him so soon! just think the money that you save on diapers... think of all the things you can do with that!!!!

CFI Pilot said...

Wow, parenting sounds like so much fun! Celebrating because somebody pooped! Simple pleasures

Eevi said...

Way to have so much patience. We are going to sleep train Saku soon and I know it will require a lot of patience too. I'll keep reading to see how everything goes:)

Jolisa said...

Potting training is by far the most frustrating thing I have done so far! It sounds like Dutch is on his way. The only tip I have is to night time train at the same time. Olivia was sleeping through the night without peeing in her bed after peeing in her bed only a couple of times. Everybody is different, but I think this is worth a try! No Pull-ups at night worked for me!